Sunday, April 3, 2011

Clinics CAN be good

So, in the past I've been to a few clinics, and walked away shaking my head. It drives me nuts, the fanatics who say you MUST do it like their hero (this clinician or that one) or you are a terrible and abusive horseman. And you need to buy this fancy gimmicky piece of equipment or another.

It's usually not the fault of the clinician. Usually they are good people, out to help you develop a better relationship with your horse. But we've all met the Fanatic Followers. Oy.

I am a Fanatic Fan. I do admit it. But of a horse blogger, not of a trainer. http://mugwumpchronicles.blogspot.com/ Well, she is a trainer, but it is her musing on horses, training and living with horses that really sticks with me. It is from her that I have learned to take what I like from various training methods and incorporating them to what I am comfortable with. And I didn't even realize it until this weekend!

I audited a demo night of a trainer that came to Manitoba on Friday. At first it seemed kinda nuts what he was doing. And I'll admit it, I just stuck around to watch his exhibition of his gorgeous Andalusian stallion. But then I went home and thought about it. What he was actually doing and why; I think it was a gold mine of information! I may not buy his "fancy" Endo-whip. But I will think of a way to incorporate his theories into my training. Can't argue with the amazing results he got! And he doesn't insist you buy expensive whips, sticks or halters!

Check out his articles. I can see how I can use his theories to benefit me in what I want to accomplish with the horses...

http://www.pkequestrian.com/articles.html

And his his dog was ADORABLE! Next time he is in, you should check it out, just to watch the exibition at the end!

No comments: